The Market Ticker
Rss Icon RSS available
Fact: There is no immunity or protection against The Law of Scoreboards.
Did you know: What the media does NOT want you to read is at https://market-ticker.org/nad.
You are not signed on; if you are a visitor please register for a free account!
The Market Ticker Single Post Display (Show in context)
Top Login FAQ Register Clear Cookie
User Info Demographics Is Destiny; entered at 2023-11-07 16:15:10
Tickerguy
Posts: 203999
Registered: 2007-06-26
It never ceases to amaze me when someone says "but just pop out 15 kids!"

Ok, uh, where?
What will they eat?
Where will they sleep?

Lots of costs go up ratably with family unit size, but the real 900lb Gorilla is that the catastrophe risk for any of the members of your family is more-or-less the same, but each person gets one roll. If you make 10 rolls of a d20 you're 10 times more likely to roll at least one "1" than if you make only one roll. That you must inevitably make that roll cannot be changed. Only the consequences of the "1" can be changed on the remaining members of your family unit, but that's an externality that YOU cannot, in all probability, do anything about. Only SOCIETY can do that by (for example) enabling or dismantling medical monopolists.

Likewise society can control whether or not you can reasonably raise a family (of any size) on one income or whether it requires two. That is a sliding scale, but that I might happen to have been fortunate enough to get into the 1% or better group in terms of financial capacity doesn't change the fact that the other 99% of the population is not. Only moving the bar downward enables more people to make that decision on a rational basis.

These are societal choices -- and societal consequences.
2023-11-07 16:15:10